You may think of the IRS as merely the agency responsible for sending your Get My Payment, the online app can show you if the IRS is processing your money and whether it’ll arrive in the mail as a paper check or or through . The tool will also alert you to any before the IRS can give your check the go-ahead.. On the flipside, it also helps you check the status of your payment through a tracking portal designed just for that purpose. Called
We’ll explain how to use Get My Payment, including the details you should have on hand before you begin.
For more information about stimulus checks, here’s what to do if you think. Plus, these are the latest details about a and . We update this story often.
What to do before you use the Get My Payment tool
- The tool will ask for your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code.
- The IRS is sending payments on a schedule. Think of it as batches of payments that get sent at once, rather than individually. The Get My Payment tool can ballpark your scheduled date.
- The IRS updates its status tracking information once a day.
- You should receive a letter about 15 days after the IRS issues your payment, with information on the amount you received and how you received it.
After using the IRS tracker, you could also sign up for a free service from the post office that tells you.
How to track the status and arrival of your IRS stimulus check
If you’re eligible for a check, the IRS lets you track your payment schedule through its Get My Payment web portal. Some people have reported having trouble using the portal, and the IRS said it has significantly improved the Get My Payment app to help you set up and track the date of your stimulus payment.
1. Head to the IRS’ Get My Payment page and tap the blue Get My Payment button to check the status of your economic impact payment.
2. On the next page about authorized use, tap OK.
3. Now on the Get My Payment page, enter your SSN or ITIN, your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code. Tap Continue.
On the next page, the portal will show your payment status, whether it’s been scheduled or if the service can’t yet determine your status.
Is my status information accurate, and what if I get an error message?
You may see confusing messages when using the status tool — so much so that the IRS explains common status messages in an FAQ. You may get a message if it’s impossible to determine your eligibility, for example, or your payment status is not available. We’re looking into it, but so far we’ve unearthed a handful of status.
You don’t need to sign up to qualify for stimulus money
To receive the stimulus payment, you may need toif you are normally required to. You can still do that now. .
Senior citizens, Social Security recipients, railroad retirees and other beneficiaries who typically aren’t required to file tax returns will not need to file one to receive a payment.
Again, the agency will mail a letter to a taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after sending the payment. The letter will contain information on when and how the payment was made and how to report to the IRS if you didn’t receive your check.
Can I find out if my check is in the mail?
The IRS deadline topassed on May 13. If you didn’t set up your account, you’ll most likely get your check in the mail.
While most people will receive a paper check, the Treasury Department said 4 million people will get an Economic Impact Payment, or EIP, prepaid debit card instead (and as of the first week of June, it said these payments have been made). We’ve asked the US Treasury to clarify who gets a check and who gets a debit card.
Did you try the US Postal Service mail-tracking app?
Here’s another way to track your check in the mail.
If you’re waiting for your Informed Delivery, the mail-tracking service automatically scans your letters and can alert you when they’ll be delivered. Here’s more on to track your payment.to arrive in the mail — either as a paper check or a prepaid debit card — the US Postal Service has a free app that can notify you when it’s about to deliver your letter from the IRS. Called
For more information, here’s. And here’s everything you need to know about the .